Monday, March 26, 2012

Recycling Bin Raid: Easter Crafts

Pinterest is hopping with Easter crafting ideas.  Many involve plastic eggs, styrofoam eggs and unnatural dyes.  You know how I feel about all the junk people buy each year for holidays, throw away when it's over and then buy again the next year from my Be Green This Easter post last year.  Avoid all of this unnecessary expense and waste, raid your recycling bin and create green gifts, decorations and fun!



I love these Easter egg carton chicks by Jeromina Juan at paper, plate, and plane.  They are so cute and very simple to make.



Another use for egg cartons is this colorful wreath from Homemade Serenity.  This could stay out well past Easter and enjoyed the rest of spring.




Garlands (or bunting) are especially popular these days.  This Upcycled Easter Egg Bunting from Anne Weil at flax & twine is made from recycled cereal boxes, fabric and trim scraps and a sewing machine.  What a lovely alternative to the plastic egg garlands I've seen lately.



Let's not forget my Repurposed Milk Jug Easter Baskets tutorial from last year!



Since I mentioned unnatural dyes in my rant above I thought I should include information about using natural dyes.  Two Men and a Little Farm has a great chart with the ingredients needed to make eleven different natural dyes for eggs.  I cannot wait to try some of these colors!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!