Monday, November 14, 2011

Potty Training, Baby Eczema & Sleepless Nights

Usually I post about DIY projects, Etsy or my Etsy shop but I feel I should explain why I have been absent from the blogging world the past few months.  The above title says it all!  Our toddler took forever to poop in her potty seat, our 5 month old suffers from eczema and both create sleepless nights.

Lucy will turn three soon but the terrible twos still dominate.  She is finally potty trained (still in Easy Ups at night) and is becoming a fantastic artist.  I'm not sure what is considered normal for three year olds but this kid is drawing people and dandelions very well!  She still wakes up several times a night and calls for us to fix her blanket or some other random reason.  We try to take turns but usually my hubby deals with it since I am STILL nursing the little one at night.

That's right, our five month old is not sleeping through the night yet.  In fact she slept better the first month of her life than she does now, naps included.  She has eczema and the poor thing is constantly itchy.  Our pediatrician told us all about which laundry detergents, lotions, soaps to use and recommended hydro cortisone cream for the itching.  She is constantly itching (and losing hair from it)!  I cannot imagine using this stuff every time she scratches....she would be covered in the stuff!

I am considering jumping on the slippery slope of elimination diets after reading about eczema and breastfeeding.  The hope is that the offending food will stop irritating her skin and she will sleep more than 30 minutes at a time.  Cow's milk seems to be the most obvious food to eliminate.  Unfortunately the holiday season is upon us and I will have to miss out on all the fabulous foods.  If it helps my poor little girl's skin just a little it will be worth it!

With all of this going on I can barely keep up with the laundry around here.  I manage to keep my Etsy shop stocked but cannot manage my Facebook, Twitter or this blog with much continuity.  Hopefully as these crazy kids grow out of these funks or we learn to mange I can post more frequently.

If anyone has any advice on managing baby eczema or food elimination please comment!  I know this won't last forever, but it sure feels like it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! I asked a friend whose baby had eczema what they did (because I remember she did a lot). I'll let you know when I hear back.
    In the mean time (maybe you have seen this?):
    http://kellymom.com/babyconcerns/food-sensitivity.html
    http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjulaug98p100.html

    It takes like 2 weeks for dairy to leave your system completely, so don't get discouraged if you don't see quick results. I know giving up dairy sucks, but it is so worth it for her!

    Also, this bloggess who is hilarious eliminated almost everything:
    http://www.modgblog.com/?s=elimination+diet

    As for sleeping...Abraham doesn't sleep through the night. Not even close. 3 hours max. But we co sleep, which means I don't have to get up a million times. Or even one. :)

    Hope it all eases up soon. Mothering is hard. But at least we are all in it together.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!