Thursday, August 4, 2011

DIY Reusable Baby Wipes

We are almost out of baby wipes once again!  It is hard to keep up with the demand when we are still wiping two butts (stubborn Lucy still isn't completely potty trained!).  Time to make the reusable baby wipes I intended to make when Lucy was a baby.

We started using cloth diapers once Lucy was a few months old.  It took me awhile to decide which brand to go with plus newborn poo is just so runny and almost impossible to contain in disposables so imagine the mess in cloth!  I always intended to make cloth wipes and even purchased remnant flannel whenever I saw it, but never got around to making them.  Now that Alice is almost ready for cloth diapers we need the wipes to go with them.

It makes perfect sense.  Just toss the wipes in the wash with the diapers.  They are small and therefore do not add any extra laundry and will help save even more money.  I found several tutorials online but they really are not needed for such a simple sewing project.  I will share this one because it also has links on general cloth diapering info, how to make homemade nursing pads and cloth napkins.

I used flannel remnants from the bargain bin at the craft store for my wipes and the link above used an old baby receiving blanket.  Others have used old t-shirts, blankets or fleece to make theirs.  Repurposing is the best and cheapest option, I just did not have anything old to reuse at the time.

Stack of remnant flannel ready to cut
8 x 8 squares ready to be edged

I cut most of my fabric into 8 x 8 inch squares.  A few of the remnants would yield more wipes with less waste if cut into 7 x 8 so that is what I did.

After edging
Ready for the container

Squares measuring 8 x 8 do not fit perfectly in the Huggies wipes container I have but it still works.  However, if I had thought about that I would have made all my wipes 7 inches instead.  I plan to use plain water on the wipes at first and see how it works.  Lots of recipes can be found for various mixtures including some with soap, baby oil, tea tree oil and/or essential oils.  These are completely customizable for you and your baby's skin so it may take a few tries to see what works for your family. 

Once I have Alice in cloth diapers and have used the wipes through several washing cycles I will post an update!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!