A stack of my husband's old fraternity shirts, wooden beads and an old packet of Kool-Aid mix all came together to create dress up accessories for my two year old last week. I decided to make two sets of necklaces while I had the sewing machine out. Hopefully this will eliminate or at least lessen the fights between the sisters in a year or so. (Baby Sister is due in June!)
The old t-shirts were gray, white and navy so I decided to dye the white with an old packet of Kool-Aid mix. After some internet research I learned that Kool-Aid as a dye does not work on cotton and is only recommended to dye protein fibers like wool. I decided to try it anyway since this was for a toy and not an item of clothing that would be washed often.
I then overlapped the ends, folded them over and used the sewing machine to attach them. I also decided to fold the whole strip in half and sew along the middle for strength and to minimize fraying.
All my sewing issues aside, Lucy loves her new necklaces and was happy to model them. She was also very excited that Baby Sister gets her very own set too!