Tuesday, February 22, 2011

DIY Pine Cone Wreath

This is one of those projects I wanted to complete and post in November or December for Christmas.  However, I felt absolutely terrible then (pregnancy changes plans) so better late than never!

During our short stay in New Mexico I managed to amass quite a collection of cones from our apartment complex grounds, local parks and eventually our very own yard.  I have several very large ones that will someday become stocking hangers but the smaller ones looked perfect for a wreath. 

Most of the online instructions for creating pine cone wreaths suggest using styrofoam or wire wreath forms as a base but I wanted something more natural.  I found a great grapevine wreath at the craft store while purchasing a giant bag of hot glue gun sticks.  I also had some cinnamon sticks and thought I would add them after seeing this gorgeous wreath.



Before starting the wreath the pine cones had to be prepped for indoor use.  Some were full of sand from the park, others had dried mud and there is always the chance of insects living inside them.  You can soak or bake them.  I soaked the larger ones to be used in stocking hangers and baked all the cones to be in the wreath.  You can find more specific instructions here.

Initially I just started hot gluing the larger cones randomly around the grapevine wreath.  Then, I began adding the smaller cones, pods and cinnamon sticks to balance it all out. 


I'm pretty happy with the finished product!  I may add some wide ribbon to use as a hanger and maybe even some small lights but for now I need to figure out a way to carefully store it until this Christmas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!